Hello Spring!



This past weekend was so incredibly beautiful outside. The weather finally warmed up and we were able to get outside and enjoy our yard again. Both Mike and I arrived back from our conferences. He had a work conference in San Francisco (I won't even tell you how jealous I am of that!) and I got back from Ohio.
Saturday morning we took the boys out for doughnuts and went looking for decking supplies. Next weekend we hope to put a deck out back~~if the weather holds up.
So back to the yard... Saturday afternoon we started cleaning out the flower beds (oh the many many flower beds in this yard!!), tilling up the garden areas (we'll have 3 this year), laying grass seed in our super shady backyard that has a hard time growing grass, re-establishing rock paths and borders, painting, continual cleanup of branches from the ice storm, and general cleaning debris from the back porch, etc...

Canaan giving the front porch a fresh coat of paint



Poor Mike spent hours yesterday trying to dig an old root system out of our front flower bed. It was back breaking work but he got it done and it is ready for planting.

(Our new tiller we bought at auction this winter)


In our large flower bed out front I have a new plan. We moved in last year in March and weren't sure what would come up in the various areas around the yard. This enormous bed in the front just never really did anything. There were occasional things that would pop up from time to time, but for the most part it looked barren and sad.

(The area to the left is the new "veggie/herb bed" mixed with a few ornamental grasses too)


This year we have tilled it up and I am going to use this space (that gets alot of sun) to plant some herbs and veggies. I have seen some vegetables being used as "decorative" plantings and I like how it looks. Plus with our backyard being so shady I need the sun for some stuff. The rhubarb, asparagus (both of which are perennial), herbs, and some lettuce's will go out front. It is all experimental at this point, so I'll let you know how it goes.

This morning I was back out in the yard with Ezra. It was chilly yet sunny and gorgeous. I am looking forward to a great year of yard play, gardening, and relaxing in our great green space !

Load one of debris ready for trash day