Feeling Pretty




I have been thinking alot about fashion lately. Clothes, hair, beauty products, etc... It began during my pregnancy. I discovered this new found love with Sephora. I had heard of women just going bonkers over Sephora stores but I have never been one of them. Overall, I have been the type of gal to stick to a basic beauty routine; wash my face, put on moisturizer, brush some bare minerals on and head out the door.
That began to change though during my pregnancy when I was feeling frumpy and not too sexy in those maternity jeans and oversized shirts. I really wanted to be that hot sexy pregnant mama but really had no desire to spend money on designer maternity clothes that I would never wear again.
So I turned my attention to skin care for nine months. I didn't do this intentionally but I noticed myself meandering for long periods of time in Sephora or Ulta, reading up on the latest moisturizers in Marie Claire, and watching late night QVC when Philosophy was featured.
Part of me finds this to be slightly indulgent and unnecessary. I have traveled to remote parts of third world countries and seen the most basic standards of living. A part of me that rejects this idea of spending extra money on unnecessary things because...well really they aren't necessary.
But then I also began to look at things in another way. It actually ties in with the idea of "homemaking". Homemaking for me, or the idea of making a house a home, is not just in the decor I choose to use on our mantle, the table setting we set when entertaining guests, or the meal I make for dinner. It is also in the overall attitude and environment of our home. And frankly, I feel much more energized, engaged, and happy when I take care of myself- which directly correlates with the energy of the home.
So all this to say, that I have given myself permission. Permission to think more about fashion and beauty and not feel guilty about it. Permission to take a longer shower and use yummy smelly soaps and lotions. Permission to spend a bit of money on a new lipstick or earrings from time to time.
Of course, all of this will be done frugally, but it will be done not because I deserve it ( I have a pet peeve when people say that), but because my family deserves to have a mother and wife who can daily feel beautiful and bring a level of energy and spunk to the home that happens when I put a spritz of perfume on or wear extended lash mascara...just because.

(as a side note; writing this post reminded me of a book I read in college called "Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman". An interesting read, although slightly old-school, but still has some good nuggets of wisdom).

7 comments:

  1. Fashion intimidates me sometimes, but I do believe in the importance of feeling pretty. The power of feeling sexy is pretty grand to a new mom, or any mom. I'm not always the best at "dressing" the part, but I do think it's an attitude you don first. I've seen you in your maternity jeans and you looked mighty pretty to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year or two ago I decided to 'invest' at Sephora. I got a consultation from the sales lady and bought makeup from there instead of Walmart after hearing more than once at the grocery check-out line that I "looked tired" when I felt great inside! Now, more often than not - my face can match how I really feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I've been struggling with frumpiness and a lack of style, but I just can't get myself into the notion of a beauty routine. But this, this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only person under 40 who had read that book! My mom said she read it when she was a preachers wife, and gave me her copy a couple of years ago. That's when I started my $10 clothing rule (and for the most part have stuck with it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo you partnered with this post! ... and I want those shoes. *laugh*

    It's interesting the permission you have given yourself, because as an MK of the mission-barrel variety I rarely purchased clothing because it looked good on me, but merely because it fit and was inexpensive. Note that I could have cared less at the time, so I didn't feel burdened for the most part. Had I found a reason to wear princess dresses, this would have suddenly become more of an issue, but I was style conscious enough to know this wasn't an option.

    After marrying David, I soon began to realize that my clothing affected him, as well as my own outlook on life. I went from baggy, to fitted, to too-tight (which made me so uncomfortable that I backed off to fitted again) and gradually figured out what shapes of clothing fit me and my personality best. Makeup? I own it, but I still hate using more than a touch of lipstick and eye-shadow on Sundays. *laugh*

    Oh, dear, I rambled into a story when all I meant to do was agree with you.

    But, you know. I love what you said about it not being an "I deserve it" thing. It's almost, I don't know, professional (?) in nature. As an artist, wife, and mother, I want to represent well. I also want be the best ambassador for God that I can be. How many people think "Christian Homemaker" and visualize baggy dresses and chapped, grey faces? And, let's face it, people see us first, no matter what the heart looks like, and sometimes that's the only reflection of Christ we will ever have in their lives. The outside should match the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a make up girl but fashion I love. I have my own style and I feel I only purchase and indulge in my fair share of it. So cheers to you and your share. Love photo by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    You have a nice blog. A 40-week pregnancy is really just a blip in our whole life time, but the problem with clothing during that time is very painful. Keeping this in mind, two best friends and mother of two children each started http://www.bellybundles.com. We have high quality maternity clothes there and we would like to hear your feedback on our products.

    Thanks,
    Carina - Maternity clothing

    ReplyDelete