Super Healthy (and yummy!) Meatball Subs



I picked up this cookbook a few weeks ago for my friend's birthday and bought a copy for myself as well. Everything from it has been really good and last nights meal~ meatball subs ~ was no exception.
I took a few liberties with the recipe but overall followed the basic premise:

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 slice whole wheat bread, pulsed in food processor
1/4 cup grated parmasean
1/2 cup shredded carrots (I pulsed mine in the food processor along with the onion)
1/2 cup onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 T. parsley
2 t. thyme
1 lg. egg, beaten
1/2t salt and pepper to taste

Preheat broiler. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Form into 2 1/2" balls and place on the baking sheet. Broil until browned about 10 minutes.

Place 3 meatballs on a hoagie roll. Top with marinara and mozzarella cheese.


Meatballs before going in the oven


Meatballs just out of the oven

And did I mention that these are really healthy? Veggies in the meatballs and lean turkey. My kids said it tasted better than Subway too!

7 comments:

  1. It really lokks like a dish kids love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that there would be a lot of fat in those anyway, but I always bake my meatballs on my cooking rack set over a cookie sheet. That way you get more browning and all the fat drips down. If you line the pan with parchment or foil the clean up is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cheryl! Your right, these didn't have any extra fat but I am sure when I do these with beef a rack will be great!
    And yes, oh how I love parchment paper. What a breeze to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yummy! Did you make the buns? The texture of the bread just looks so chewy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lucinda~
    I didn't make them actually. They are whole wheat hoagie rolls from the store. I toasted them before making the sandwiches. (love your website by the way!...very nicely laid out).

    ReplyDelete