This week is really getting away from me...where is the time going?
Today I finally finished a stash of aprons that have been slowly taking shape for the past 2 weeks. I am getting things ready for Mayfest, a local art/craft fair, that will be happening May 8th and 9th. Not only am I participating this year but Canaan was asked to have a marshmallow booth there. Exciting, yes. But that makes twice the amount of work for this busy household to get it all ready in time.

With spring upon us we also have been spending the majority of our afternoons and evenings in the backyard cleaning out flower beds, watching the hens peck happily for bugs, swinging in the hammock, and just enjoying the gorgeous weather together.



We did go on a great little weekend adventure last weekend too! We ventured up to my old stomping grounds, Columbus Ohio for a little R&R and fun. I'll be blogging a bit more about our hotel stay in the next couple of days (a big announcement along with that too).






We ate some great food and uber-delicious ice cream from a place called Jeni's Spendid Ice Cream. Holy cow that place is amazing. Just take a look at that menu! The line was out the door when we got there but worth every drooling moment.



Along with the incredible ice cream were these divine ice cream sandwiches~ ice cream sandwiched between 2 french macaroons. Umm..hello? That is genius and delicous!

I am now on a mission to make some new and unique flavors of ice cream of our own. We love to make ice cream but in all honesty we have been quite boring about the flavor choices. Vanilla, berry, vanilla, berry... Its time to break out and try some new things this spring. Any ideas??

**and if you are craving Jeni's as much as I do you can order online here

12 comments:

  1. that ice cream sandwich looks amazing!

    have you checked out "the perfect scoop"? it's got a great strawberry ice cream recipe, but if you're looking for something new, i like the peach ice cream (good in august), lemon buttermilk sorbet (so tangy), and cinnamon ice cream. i love making ice cream and am hoping to try butter pecan soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ideas, I am with you on the vanilla berry, really is there anything better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for swinging by our shop, Megan; glad you -- and Canaan -- enjoyed it!

    Here are seven sure-fire ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yogurt recipes Jeni shared with Food & Wine from a while back: http://bit.ly/cIOLkm

    Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ryan! It didn't occur to me that you guys had a website but I just linked it at the bottom of my post. Can't wait to try some of those recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a cardamom ice cream in the freezer right now. After work today I plan to stew some rhubarb for a delicious sundae.
    Next up is pistachio ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best ice cream ever is blue moon. If you can recreate that you can do ANYTHING. :) But, I have had cardamom ice cream before... and I think that maybe the secret "blue moon" flavoring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, heh heh. I was just typing Jeni's over and over myself. Heaven on earth, that little shop. So glad you got to partake on your trip!! (BTW, their mojito sundae ROCKS!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new banner and what an amazing place! As for ice creams - we are also chocolate fans and I love the recipe in "Apples to Jam" - I use her vanilla too. Alice Waters has some sorbet recipes in one of her books... I haven't tried them yet but I bet they would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the ice cream ideas! Blue Moon ice cream..I think my husband would be in heaven if I made that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great photos! it looks like an amazing place to visit! your banner photo has me hungry too : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. these photos are so sweet! ...and home made ice cream?!?!? to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did a little researching and here is the recipe for Blue Moon Ice Cream. (although I have just paid the $50 and ordered the Blue Moon sampler online)
    Blue Moon Ice Cream Recipe

    INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla oil
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    1/8 teaspoon blue food coloring
    3 teaspoons vanilla pudding mix
    1 teaspoon raspberry flavored oil
    1 teaspoon lemon flavored oil or lemon extract

    DIRECTIONS
    1/2 Cup of milk scalded in pan.
    add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt. stir till dissolved.
    add 1/2 cup of half and half.
    add 11/2 cups of heavy whipping cream.
    add vanilla, raspberry, lemon flavoring.
    add blue food coloring.
    chill in fridge till very cold.
    put in ice cream machine!

    It is really, really yummy!

    ReplyDelete