In the Kitchen



Lots of cooking and baking happening over here~ this is fairly typical though. We all love to cook so it seems something is always happening in the kitchen. Whether it is a batch of Saturday morning waffles being made by my hubby or marinating fish headed to the grill for fish tacos, there is an endless amount of food being produced in this house.



And since we're on the topic of food, we are in the midst of watching the eye-opening documentary, Food Inc. We get about 20 minutes of the 2 hour film in every couple of days or so in between homework, dinner, nursing, and bath time. This film is rocking our world. That, combined with some other research we've been doing, we have definitely turned a major corner on this whole organic bandwagon.
We have been buying organic milk and eggs for the past 3 years or so but biting the bullet and paying more for meat just hasn't happened...until now. Not only are we committing to buying organic meats, we really want to take the further step to buy local, organic meat near our home. Although we live on a fairly tight grocery budget we are going to start transferring allotted money from other areas in our budget to cover the additional cost. Its just that important.

11 comments:

  1. That is an awesome documentary. Another one you guys would really like is called "Food Matters"! Also very powerful and very eyeopening. Although they do talk about the pharmaceutical industry quite a bit, so hopefully Mike won't mind :) Here's a link for the trailer if you want to check it out.

    http://www.foodmatters.tv/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to first say that I love your banner! That certainly was an incredible documentary, there are so many good ones on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! we liked that documentary too...the super market (and holiday ham for that matter) will never look quite the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, the fotos look so jummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my list of "really want to see when I have time". Sounds like I need to hurry and make the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I need the recipe for that yummy looking tart up there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Kentuckian on board I'm from Northern KY.
    I love your site. I know I will learn much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy~ The tart is kind of just pieced together from a bunch of recipes. The tart shell is a Jamie Oliver recipe. The custard is a basic custard recipe that I added lemon zest to. Topped with strawberries and ta-da!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just walked by Food Inc today, and thought, "I really should watch that.." Will get my hands on it ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently saw this movie in the same fashion--over the course of a couple days. It really is eye opening! I feel the exact same way and am now avoiding any corn-fed, mass-produced meat. I love nothing more than a nice steak or crispy bacon, bu tit's definitely, definitely worth it to get the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks friend...I am going to try to make the tarts this weekend. Can't wait to hear how Mayfair goes for you..I am doing a downtown spring fair next weekend. Wish I could come to KY!

    ReplyDelete