Buttermilk Doughnuts...or is it Donuts?




I shared last week about the staple foods I keep around our kitchen. One of those is buttermilk and I have to say, I am developing quite an affection for buttermilk these days. Buttermilk ice cream~ tangy and tasty. Buttermilk waffles ~ a favorite of the boys on weekends. And now, I can add buttermilk doughnuts to the list.

On Friday night I was scrambling around the kitchen trying to piece a meal together and decided that homemade doughnuts would be a perfect Friday night dessert. After looking through my usual online foodie resources; Epicurious, Food Network, David Lebovitz's amazing site and a google search, I stumbled across a recipe for buttermilk doughnuts and just had to give them a try.



I am not a doughnut fan necessarily. I'll take a scoop of ice cream or a slice of triple chocolate cake over a doughnut any day of the week. But these little gems...holy cow. Some were tossed in a bit of cinnamon and sugar while others got a glaze coating with a simple mixture of powdered sugar, vanilla and cream.

I tweaked the recipe a bit and cut it down some (I really didn't need or want to stand over hot oil frying 40 doughnuts) and here's what we ended up with. They are brilliant.

Buttermilk Doughnuts

1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
3T butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg (this gives it that special something...don't omit it)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cup - 3 cups flour

Beat the egg and sugar. Add all but flour and mix well. Add in flour until you get a stiff dough (more like cookie dough, less like a soft bread dough). Chill for atleast an hour and you could leave it in the fridge over night. Roll out chilled dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut those bad boys out to whatever shape works for you. Drop them in 375 degree oil and fry them till golden colored on both sides (1-2 minutes per side). Drain on a wire rack and use your imagination for all sorts of delicious toppings!



13 comments:

  1. Oh boy am I glad to see this, my little guy is doughnut obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my good Lord these look amazing!! And your photos are to die for! I am gluten-free so no regular flour for us, perhaps I'll be able to find a substitute. I like cakey, plain donuts as opposed to the crazy kinds at Dunkin. Wow, no YOU have got me inspired!
    Thanks for popping by my blog. I hope you do indulge in a bit of embroidery. Mine was in preparation for an advent calendar of sorts. (So we can so long to the disposable ones.) I love the slow-down nature, seeing the pattern pop, and reveal itself, and the exactness of a pattern with a little bit of wiggle room. I do like your blog and I hope to stick around for a bit!
    Best, Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These remind me of my childhood and still today visiting the apple orchard where they create plain and cinnamon donuts... mmm the smell is so good! Yours look so wonderful! What a special memory and treat for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you gluten free families do it Abbie! What creativity and patience it must take to do gf baking!
    Yes Garden Mama! These are just like those cakey doughnuts you'd be gobbling down at the apple orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness those look good! I just wrote I wonder if I could make these gluten free and then saw abbie's comment. Abbie, if you make them gf, let me know... I'll do the same! I'm also wondering if they couldn't be turned into apple cider doughnuts... my mouth is now watering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo! Hadn't even considered apple cider ones...but that would be amazing! And maybe some pumpkin ones too...
    Oh autumn ~ please come soon!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never baked doughnuts, but these pictures are really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM-MY! I made these last night with my husband, Megan! Thanks for posting the recipe! I wrote a post on my blog about them and took a few pics. You'll have to check them out http://lydiascozycorner.com/2010/09/01/the-donut-post/. :)

    They were so easy to make! That's what I loved most about them....the dough was a bit more sticky for me even though i used the full 3 cups, but maybe it was the weather here? or maybe they could have chilled longer?

    all in all though,....SO FUN! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. **Whoosh*** (The sound of these doughnuts/donuts/delicous whatevers, zipping right to the top of my must-try list)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I've always wanted to make doughnuts (that's how I spell it, I'm Canadian) but with no hood fan for our stove I'm afraid to deep fry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look delicious! I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this looks so so so good. Is there anything better than a homebaked donut fresh from the oven?

    ReplyDelete