Some Really Exciting News Coming Soon...


Snowy, blustery days have been tempered with occasional sunny mid-40's days that allow us to enjoy a family walk.




Remedial Eating shared a recipe for this amazing, super easy curry dish. I love that it doesn't actually use curry powder (which I kind of detest). I whipped it up for lunch in mere minutes, topped it with some thick greek yogurt and had leftovers on hand throughout the week to munch on.

Come-Hither Cauliflower, Potatoes and Green Peas (Gobhi Matar Rasedar)
adapted from Juli Sahni, Classic Indian Cooking


1 head cauliflower
2 medium waxy potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 cup ghee or light vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper
1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes + juices
4 teaspoons Kosher salt
2-3 cups boiling water
10-12 ounces frozen baby peas (1 bag)
3 tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro

Prepare your veg and spices: Wash cauliflower, trim off leaves and tough base, then slice florets and inner core into rough 1 1/2" florets. Peel potatoes, and cut into 3/4" chunks. Measure out all spices (cumin seed into pile, the remainder into another), and set aside, near the stove.

Heat ghee or oil in a deep, heavy, lidded skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add cumin seeds, and fry a quick 20-seconds, until they go brown and nutty-smelling. Add remaing spice pile (cumin powder, coriander, turmeric and red pepper), give a quick stir, then immediately add cauliflower and potatoes. Stir a few minutes, to coat veg with the spiced oil, and to allow them to sear a bit, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, and continue to fry about 3 minutes, until tomatoes begin to thicken a bit, and oil and sauce begin to separate. Add salt and 2 cups boiling water for a sauced dish (3 cups for a soupy one), then clamp a lid on. Reduce heat and immerse vegetables, covered, about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife. Remove led, and tip in the peas, directly from the freezer. Stir, bring back to a simmer (1-2 minutes), and turn off heat. Taste for salt and heat, adjust as desired, and scatter chopped, fresh cilantro over all to serve.



I have some really exciting news to share sometime soon. I don't want to jinx it so I won't let the cat out of the bag too soon, but it has something to do with The Marshmallows Company....in the national spotlight!

7 comments:

  1. Oh! Can't wait to hear!

    That dish looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That photo of Canaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the professional chef's outfit!!

    Isn't that funny; I made just that dish on Saturday! We all loved it! My youngest pickiest daughter was the first to finish it which amazed me. The only change I made to it was to only use half a head cauliflower and an extra 2 potatoes instead. I was worried the cauliflower would overwhelm it.. now after eating it, I will probably use the whole head as it was delicious. I must say, "remedial eating" makes me want to immediately try out all her recipes. She just makes them sound sooooo divine. (and they usually are!!) I also made her rice pudding. WOW! So Good! and I even skimped a lot on the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear the news! Love his chef's uniform. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohh, exciting! Fingers crossed that it all works out and you can share soon. Mmmmm curry.

    ReplyDelete