Strawberries

Strawberries have been fairly cheap lately at the grocery store. And of course, it is strawberry planting season in most areas of the US ~ so what better than a little strawberry post?
I'll share a little of what I've been doing with my strawberries...will you share some of your favorite strawberry ideas too?


A basic plain greek yogurt and strawberry parfait



Goat Cheese, Honey and Strawberry Tart. Super simple. Just make your favorite tart or pie shell (Canaan also recommends vanilla wafers for this too). Mix goat cheese and honey - the more honey the sweeter, the less honey the more tart flavor you will have. Spread the goat cheese mix in the baked shell. Top with sliced strawberries and top with another drizzle of honey.


A friend used saltines instead of pie crust and named it "poor boy version". A little sweet, tangy and salt! (love the food photo, Ally!)

3 comments:

  1. When I find a good deal on organic berries I make a great healthy raw jelly. Basically just slice the strawberries thinly and place on trays and put it into the dehydrator at 105. Dehydrate until they're dry (usually 8-10 hours depending on the thickness). You can stop here and have a wonderful little treat, but if you reconstitute a bit with water and place it in the food processor, it works as a wonderful natural jelly. You can store them dry in a mason jar for months, and make the jelly as needed. Very Yummy! Jordana loves this on a sunflower butter sandwich!

    PS
    This works with almost any kind of berry. You could even add a bit of agave or honey to sweeten the jelly if desired! And the goat cheese tart looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristen!!! I love that idea. Could I dehydrate them overnight in a low heat oven?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that people have used ovens if they don't have a dehydrator, but I personally haven't tried that. I would think that it would probably work fine, but you'd probably want to flip them over half way through since the sheets aren't vented like a dehydrator tray. I may have to do that as well once we are overseas depending on how my dehydrator performs on a converter!

    ReplyDelete