Champagne Mangoes



Have you ever eaten a champagne mango...or as we call them, thai mangoes? Or maybe you know them by yet another name? Well whatever the name, these little gems are amazing. Typically we find them at the Asian supermarket and eat them diced over a steaming bowl of sticky rice and sweetened coconut milk. Last week I was amazed to find them at the local Sam's Club for a little over $7.00 a box (13 or so per box). I diced them and froze most to pull out for the next thai meal but I also made a mango curd to be layered between a homemade angel food cake this week.



I found the mango curd recipe here and adjusted the sugar/acid amounts a bit to suit our taste (less sweet, more tart).



I also have been keeping mason jars in the fridge filled with cut fruits and vegetables to munch on during the week. I have a horrible habit of buying fresh produce, sticking it in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator and letting it rot. Its terrible. I always intend to get to it but it wilts or dries up or molds before I do. I find that if I immediately wash, cut and store the produce when I first return from the store, we actually eat it...imagine that. Not to mention it keeps me from munching on bad things like Easter candy and homemade cookies too.

6 comments:

  1. The mangoes look great, I never saw such here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love this variety and make jam with them (I get mine at Costco!) The cake looks delicious. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet mangoes of course, i know them but have not seen them for a long while over here [in Germany]. I think best time to search again, they look so delicious! and its a great idea to cut the fresh fruits like this and my children will surely love it too.
    I recently found your blog and love it! thanks and greetings!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet mangoes of course, i know them but have not seen them for a long while over here [in Germany]. I think best time to search again, they look so delicious! and its a great idea to cut the fresh fruits like this and my children will surely love it too.
    I recently found your blog and love it! thanks and greetings!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Champagne mangos! Just did a post about them recently and I saw them at Sam's as well. Such a great deal. I know them as Ataulfo mangos imported from Mexico. I hadn't seen them at the Asian market. So glad to have so many sources. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful idea...to use mason jars for the cut up vegies. Then, you can see them in the fridge and add a tad bit of water to keep them crisp. I am definitely going to follow your lead on this one! I hate using the vegie crisper also. I am going to share your idea and post link on my blog later this week. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete