Saturday, January 07, 2012

Can I Get A Witness?

Not since Lost have I found a TV show to really rally behind. In fact, I think I am still mourning the ending of that show. In fact, I refuse to let Mike erase the final 2 episodes from our DVR.  Its not even up for discussion.
But since that fateful day in May 2010 when the only reason I could find to plop down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn finally ended, I haven't given much attention to following a show on TV.
Until recently.
I stumbled across it on accident really. It was Thursday night and Mike had headed to bed early. I crawled on the couch, covered up with a quilt and settled in for some channel surfing. I am an avid fan of PBS, especially any BBC broadcasts (Miss Marple, anyone?) and that night, at that appointed time of my TV surfing, a Masterpiece Classic was just starting. Let me stop here to say, I love Masterpiece Mystery; Poirot and Marple, they are common names in our house. But the Masterpiece Classics haven't really been my thing.
Again, until recently.
Until Downton Abbey.





















I feel crazy even blogging about a TV Show but I have to just ask; are any of you loving this show? I thought I might be the only one but I am quickly learning I am not. This morning I was driving in the car, listening to one of my favorite Saturday morning shows, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and they made a witty reference to it. Then tonight my husband was watching one of his favorite shows, Chuck, (I promise we really don't watch that much TV. I am kind of squeezing all of our TV watching habits into this post) and they referenced Downton Abbey as well!






















So I gotta ask. Do I have a witness? Isn't this one of the best shows to come around in a while? I am giddy with delight that there is already a Season 3 in production. And a Christmas Special I need to watch on You Tube someday. And I am lucky enough to have a fantastic husband who not only watches it with me each week, but I think secretly anticipates it as well.
Photobucket

20 lovely notes:

Amie said...

We've really been into this BBC show, a modern day version of Sherlock Holmes. It's called (shocking I know) Sherlock. I love all Masterpiece Mystery shows, and I think I have literally read EVERY Agatha Christie book in existence. You have good taste in television.

Jennifer Allen Gibson said...

Yes yes yes yes. I was a little late too and streamed the whole 1st season on Netflix within a couple days. Anxiously awaiting tomorrows episode.

Kelsi said...

I've been wanting to check out this show since watching the Emmey's, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I should bump it up a notch on my list of priorities. ;)

Micha said...

Thank yor for this! I'm a fan of BBC-shows too and had this DVDs in my hands a few days ago.

Jennifer said...

My husband and I also recently discovered this show, and absolutely love it! We watched it on my laptop during a recent move, and now I want to watch it all again on big screen.

sarah a. said...

I think I raised my hands and let out a little "whoop! whoop!" i'm {almost} completely obsessed! (and i used to always reserve sunday nights for "masterpiece time" but alas... life changes) - i had to watch season 1 on netflix because we don't even have any tv stations now, but I might have to purchase season 2 on iTunes. loved this post... and i didn't know about the Christmas Special... you bet I'll be looking into that :-) PS: tell Mike, Chuck is my favorite and I haven't gotten to see season 5 (the final season {so sad})

The Art of Homemaking said...

Hooray for readers with good taste in TV ;) I love reading the comments!

Brandi said...

You have a witness in me. I loved it last season and before it was over we found out that there would be a Christmas special, then an entire second season. I have been waiting so long since last season that I bought the companion book on Saturday to get a fix and it is lovely. I am also a fan of Sherlock and there is a new season of that this month too. We watch a lot of PBS/KET.

Candy said...

I haven't seen Downtown Abbey, but will check it out. I can't bring myself to delete the last episode of Lost from my DVR either. I actually get kind of weepy just thinking about it - lol.

Once Upon a Time is a great new show and has become our Lost replacement.

The Art of Homemaking said...

Candy...I TOTALLY get weepy thinking about it. Don't even get me started!

Brandi, I think we need to check out Sherlock next. I have heard great things.

NotRobbieClark said...

So I tuned in last night to see what all the hubbub was about, and I feel like I've lost precious moments of my life.

The Art of Homemaking said...

No Downton Abbey haters allowed on this blog, NotRobbieClark ;) We will discuss this another time...

Karen said...

My Husband and I LOVE downtown abbey. (He is English, and was in the UK just before Christmas and picked up season 2) so we are avidly watching it again. He told me there was even a Christmas special on Christmas day! Oops. Just scrolled down the comments and realised this was already mentioned. THere is also an original version of this, but it is not nearly as good. (in my opinion) Am I the only one who wants to dress like them though? I just love the outfits and the classic hairstyles.

The Art of Homemaking said...

Karen!!! I totally am having a love affair with the period dress from the show too. Amazing. I have seen alot of new runway photos playing off the whole old English style lately.

(lia) said...

I LOVE Downton Abbey! My cousin had me watch Series 1 over the Summer, so thankfully I didn't have the long, long wait that most people did. The two hour opener was so awesome. I was clapping and crying and gasping. Amazing.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I did watch the Season 2 opener the other day. Got me hooked. Now I need to find Season 1. Boo on PBS for not letting me watch it online in Canada.

house full of jays said...

I came from pinterest for you lip balm post but I had to comment here. We are big Downton Abbey fans here - along with all things Masterpiece. We've had the 1st season of Downton on our DVR since last year. I love this time period - oh, the clothing!
Poirot is still our favourite...I think. Sherlock is really good, too. Oh boy, I think I need a date with my DVR tonight!

Robbyn said...

OK, I'm seriously loving this series, couldnt get enough of the first one and now can watch the second series online (we dont get regular tv reception) at this link http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Back in the day, we watched ourselves silly on A&E's Pride and Prejudice. SO nice to find something on par with that these days! :)

KimT said...

downton abby is the best!

The Art of Homemaking said...

I love it Robbyn and Kim!! So glad to see all the Downton Abbey love!

Post a Comment