A Dream House~

I live in my dream house. Most may not consider a 50's brick bungalow on a suburban street a dream house (especially given my personality and tastes), but to me, its a dream house. When we bought it ~ hunter green sand textured walls, faux finishes on every surface and walls closing in every room ~ it wasn't my dream house. But we bought it because it was within our budget. It became our transition home of sorts. It was deemed "the house BEFORE the dream house".
But 4 years, hundreds of hours of remodeling work and thousands of hours of memories later, it is indeed our dream home.
Don't get me wrong. 1400 square feet of space is getting smaller by the day with 3 boys running around. I dream of luxuries like mudrooms, game rooms and pantry space. But long ago I learned to either figure out a solution for all of those missing elements or find contentment without them. 
Today we traveled 20 minutes out of town to go look at a house. We aren't even in the market for a house right now (for those who may or may not know...my hubby has been laid off for 16 months now). But something about it called our names. It felt like a good day to dream big again.
We aren't sure when we will move from this little home we have grown to love. Maybe soon...maybe later. Contentment is key~ and we do have that. Everything else will come to fruition in time.





Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I love it! But I love even more a content heart... Life is so much more pleasant that way, isn't it <3

    signed, 1200 sq ft owner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream home? One with 2 baths (the 2nd could even be a half bath), 4 bedrooms (2 for the kids- 2 boys and 2 girls could share, 1 for the playroom and one for me and my husband/daddy), a quiet space for reading, and a gigantic eat-in kitchen with an island and enough counter space for me to make multiple course meals. Oh, and must have a backyard. I'd say if I could add about 500-700 sq ft to my current home, i'd be extremely contented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You simply amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Busy! Thank you! I think some might say I exasperate them ;)

    Heidi Lisa...I agree wholeheartedly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That porch is INSANELY amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you remind me of all those hours I'd spend drooling over the house and apt. ads in the back of the Sunday New York Times magazine. Fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, the dream home is, well...dreamy. But you're not allowed to move. Love, your neighbor across the street. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely, a screened in porch seems like such a luxury to a mosquito-prone girl like myself. My family of 6 lived together in a small parsonage with 1 bathroom for a good 10 years, and my mom did a wonderful job making creative use of our space like you have for your family. Whether you move or not, I'm sure everyone will look back so fondly on your cozy home!

    ReplyDelete