Without Work



Mike received a call last night that he will be laid off at the end of December. Ummm...didn't really see that one coming. He was in Presidents Club and in the top 3%in the nation for his company. But with the economy (blah, blah, blah) they are completely eliminating his region of employees.
To escape reality Mike and I have done something we've never before done as a married couple...work on a puzzle. A big 1000 piece puzzle that is challenging enough to take our minds off the issues at hand and let us just absorb the shock of the news. I am suprised at how gratifying and calming this puzzle thing is. Very therapudic, in fact.
Anyhow, we're less than two weeks out from Christmas. I am pretty bummed that this level of stress has now come into to our festive, joyous time of year. Yes, we are maintaining a good outlook and we are confident that in the end everything will work out, but in the midst of a mini crisis like a one income family losing its' income...its scary.
So while talking it through last night on the couch Mike and I looked at each other and said, "so I guess we should return the gifts we got for each other this year." The boys gifts will stay put under the tree, but I will be returning Mike's new watch (we went ahead and showed each other what we were going to give) and he will be returning the *sob, sob, whimper, whimper*, winter boots I have been wanting for 3 years now and he finally bought me.
~A little pity party is ok, right?~
We have certainly been through tough financial times before. The year Canaan was born we made only $13,000 as missionaries. After Ezra was born we had just returned from missions work and had so little money we couldn't afford to pay the gas bill to heat our water. But we are both resiliant, very ingenuitive, have great work ethic and high spirits. Most of all we have a deep faith in God and know that He has great plans for our lives. Its just kinda hard for us to see the forest for the trees in times like these.
This verse has been in my mind all day:
Matthew 6:26
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

I love the version from the Message Bible:
"Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds."


So for now, its back to the puzzle.

21 comments:

  1. I noticed your blog on my sister in law's facebook page...so funny because somehow I have READ your blog before...without the family connection. Lovely message, lovely photos. I have two blogs...one that is mostly family and heart ramblings and then my new one that is going to be geared towards 'green living.' They are
    http://www.corleyz.blogspot.com

    and

    http://www.greenmamaworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    Thanks for your comment. Do you live in Lexington? I can't wait to look at your blogs. Thanks for the link! Who is your sister in law, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy Edwards14/12/10 2:38 PM

    So sorry to hear about this Megan! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "far more than birds" for sure! so sorry to read this news, and saying a prayer that peace and joy will still abound to you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, sorry to hear this news. Your family is surely in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan, I have read that scripture so many times and for so many months it has been on our minds. I am so sorry about his job loss. Our Pastor has been sharing about the "Classics" and last week he was talking about Joseph and the interruptions of Mary's pregnancy with our Lord. Not a small interruption, just like his job. Your family is in my prayers. I'm so bummed about your boots too. New shoes not passed on from the goodwill are always such a joy-and boots! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puzzles are fantastic. Funny, I was craving doing one a few months back when my stress levels were peaking. But no where to do it. Sometimes it is worth doing dinner around the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puzzles are amazingly theraputic. I remember my family went through a whole winter doing puzzles after my dad died.
    Megan, I know you don't know me at all, but I feel like I know you because you write so well and totally from the heart. Your post made me cry. These life changes can be so chaotic with all the unknown ahead, however, I have faith that you and your family will weather it well and grow stronger from it all and I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, I certainly relate and that scripture is my favorite piece of Bible. My husband is a commercial electrician and has been laid off for a total of 4 months over the past fifteen months. The last month long lay off was in November. Good things do come from crisis. I started blogging during my husband's first lay off and each successive one has been a lesson in patience and figuring out how to be in this world and not of it. We are in the midst of short selling our home due to all of the economic stress, difficult, embarrassing and overwhelming, but we know at the end of it waits a measure of relief. We can move to a better neighborhood, pay less in rent, save and have excellent schools. Going through this can be lonely, but remember, SO MANY people out there are going through exactly what you are. God DOES have a plan... so cliche, but true nonetheless. xoxo to you and your family. Brett and I remind ourselves all the time that we are so lucky to have each other and as long as it doesn't affect OUR love and how we talk to one another, we can handle anything that comes our way. :)
    And BRAVO to you for sharing this with all of us. I haven't had the moxie to do it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Megan. I am so, so sorry. I am also absolutely certain that there is bounty and beauty ahead. Tough and resilient, indeed.

    Care for each other well, and all will fall into place, even if the whens and hows are unclear. You and your family are in my heart.

    xo,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. No...I live in Georgia. I'm married to Zac Corley...Andy Corley's little brother. :) So....I saw you on Kristi's facebook today when I was asking her some questions about her new mag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of you and your family and hope, that Mike will find a new extraordinary dream job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Megan:

    So sorry to hear this news. Does Mike happen to work with someone by the last name of Grogan??

    Praying for a door to open.. We've been through this before and although it was hard at the time, it actually worked out for the better of our family as these things usually do. Sometimes it is just hard to have faith when you are in the midst of the storm.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael Ray15/12/10 8:57 PM

    Much love from you Appleton friends. Let us know if and when you need a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my heart fell to the ground. i will be sending you and your sweet family the warmest thoughts. when one door closes another one opens...i know you know this. chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could figure out how to use the e mail link on your page....could you e mail me at alyssaspringcorley@gmail.com ? I have a couple of questions and something I would like to send you after reading some of your blog....I'm a fellow crafter as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you have a great outlook on things, and you know that you will survive, but my thoughts will be with you still. My husband lost his job both times I was pregnant with the boys, one of those coming days before I gave birth to my second. I think that the hardest part is when something like this comes in and disturbs the joy you have. I will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry that you have this added layer of stress right now. I admire your outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry to hear about Mike's job, but excited for the opportunities that it opens up for you! You and your family are so talented, I know that the Lord will use you as tools to bless people's lives. He has an amazing plan in store for you!

    Garrett and I have been reading a book called "Irrestible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. It is not about jobs, but I think you'd really enjoy it. It has been food for thought during a time of major transition.

    I wish you luck in your job search. I wish I were there to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As someone who just experienced a scary "mini" crisis as you put it, I can say with utmost assurance that God does have a plan & you are in the shadow of his wings!
    http://www.asabee.ca/archives/1807

    On a financial front, we were in a similar situation in August, with a baby on the way, and Marc losing his job. But it has been amazing how God has provided for our needs.

    Your christmas may only be richer because you have less. It's amazing how it seems to work out that way. But blessings to you both as you face times in the night where you wonder "What next?" Perhaps Next is something so wonderful you haven't even conceived it yet!

    Sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope something wonderfully new opens up for you guys...God has something good in store :)

    ReplyDelete