Welcome Fall Foods!



I am ready to transition from my summer salad and grilled chicken recipes to the wonderful soups, stews and comfort food of fall. I put some of my fall colored cookbooks on display on top of my cookbook shelf which gives me even more inspiration to get in the kitchen. Yesterday I used my last frozen ziplock bag of chicken stock from the freezer so today I will pull out my big stockpot and make another batch that will last me for the next few months.
Here is yesterdays recipe for Southwest Tomato & Roasted Pepper Soup

It is adapted from a Fine Cooking recipe:
1 large red bell pepper, diced (or you could use a roasted red pepper)
3T olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped.
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cuin
3 cups chicken broth (I used 2c. and a bit of water)
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. lime zest
Salt & Pepper

In a pot heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir the chili powder and cumin into the onions. Add the diced red pepper and cook another 2 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Let cool briefly and then puree the soup in two or three batches in a blender or food processor. Return to pot and add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, lime juice and lime zest in a small bowl.
Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!

Have a great weekend! See you Monday.