A New Dress



Mama's got a new dress. What's that? From Anthropologie? Nope. A Boden purchase? No ma'am. This little gem was my first "big girl" sewing project.
My sewing projects for over a year has been work related. Filling orders for shops, shows, online orders and gift giving have kept me too busy to make anything for myself. Finally I feel caught up on all of those other things and decided to pull out a pattern I bought a while ago and had tucked away with all of the other patterns I buy and intend on using (but never get around to.) I sew all of the time but am petrified of those patterns that aren't labeled with words like "easy" or "fast" or "quick".



I was feeling very ambitious on Friday night and wanted a good challenge. So I dove head first into the most difficult pattern I have tackled to date. It was hard ~ but not nearly as hard as I had anticipated. I had Mike there, across the kitchen table doing his online classes, coaching me along as I would read aloud, then re-read aloud more slowly and loudly each instruction step.
It came together in about 4 hours and was actually really fun to make and even more exciting to zip it up and have it fit like a glove.

23 comments:

  1. I love it! I love the pin tucks/pleats in the front. You look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Seriously, you look amazing. That top photo is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely gorgeous! it's normal to have a little jealousy, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!... for trying new and difficult and making something so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great with your new dress on the lovely blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is impressive! I have never tackled making myself a dress, and you just gave me some serious insiration. It turned out beautiful, and what a perfect color and fabric you chose. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog via SouleMama. It may sound silly, but I just wanted to say "hi", because I spent one of my best years ever in Lexington as an international student at UK. 10 years have passed since but I still think of Lexington so often.
    And, by the way, love your dress & your blog!

    Sina from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for the kind words~ it was such fun to make. And thanks Bombini for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For years, though I sewed frequently, I avoided anything with a zipper since all my life I had heard how difficult zippers were to put in. Finally, I broke down and said, "what's the worst that can happen?" (I know, usually famous last words, right?) But, you know, it was a breeze! I don't do it every day, but I know I can if I want to! Congrats on your lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, Nancine! I have done a few zippers but only on handbags/wallets ~ never in clothes. They seemed so hard. But YES! It was a breeze and it looks great. That is one of my proudest things about the dress. I put it on and tell my husband "look, I did this zipper...: ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 4 hours, that's impressive! It looks awesome and I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool, Megan! I think the dress looks great on you, and I'm especially impressed at how good you look after just having a baby 6 months ago (about a week before my son was born!!). You look great in your dress- congrats!

    Oh, and BTW, we now have 2 mutual friends, Kristie in FL, and Ang in IL. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing! Four hours is quick! And that quilt you are on is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. is there any way of getting a pattern link? that dress is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Over from SouleMama...you did a fabulous job on this dress! I love the colors and the gathers and pleats! And it fits you perfectly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW that's gorgeous!!! very nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is seriously so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one awesome dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks awesome! Which pattern was it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pattern is a McCall's pattern. #M5657. I made mine without pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made that dress in 4 hours?! That's how long it takes me to shop for a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful dress, beautiful fabric!
    And nice to know of another husband who has to listen to his wife's silly happy sewing talk.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a fabulous dress! and great photo shoot. i am so impressed that you made this. i wish my sewing skills were up to that!

    ReplyDelete