Gluten Free Red Velvet Brownies~ Utter Perfection

I posted a while back about making brownies with black beans...you can see that here. In fact, most all recipes, crafts and blog posts are archived and can be found within those nifty links up top~ just a little FYI tip.
So...those black bean brownies. Pretty amazing. Very chocolaty and full of flavor. Gluten free and (white) sugar free to boot!

I haven't been on the hunt for any other bean brownie recipes but then I went and stumbled on this one and had to give it a try. Mainly because...I have a love affair with roasted beets. So really any recipe that includes beets nowadays is going to make an appearance in my kitchen.
I've adapted the recipe from one I found here. I used what I had on hand (oats instead of flax, no almond extract (yuck..not my favorite)
Give it a try. You don't even have to be gluten free to enjoy these bad boys. Fudgy, rich, decadent...they have it going on.





Fudgy, Gluten Free, Red Velvet Brownies

1 cup red kidney beans
½ cup cooked beets
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp apple sauce
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup ground oats (I pulsed oats in a spice grinder)
¼ cup chocolate chips (optional; I used a leftover Hershey's bar chopped up)

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray an 8 by 8 inch square pan or a loaf pan and place parchment paper in the bottom.
In a food processor, puree kidney beans and beets. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand until smooth and fully combined.
Fold batter into the greased pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness. You want a bit of batter to stick to a butter knife or toothpick. Do not over bake.
Let cool completely. Refrigerate for one hour.